Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wednesday is: Lurker and First Timer Day*
12-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Most of us were toddlers once; same with lurkers... So, (DEFINITION #1): LURKER: noun (verb: to lurk), one who visits, perhaps often, enjoys visiting, but does not make his/her presence felt, preferring to LURK in the shadows, tentatively tasting the fruits, yet not plunging in headlong and participating. Sound familiar? Read on... The reasons for lurking, like those for toddling, are many:

You haven't learnt to walk/post;
You're afraid to look silly;
You're afraid you'll trip up;
You think you have nothing to contribute;
You feel you're not ready;
You don't have the equipment;
You prefer the low-angle view;

To all of you, a warm welcome! Wednesday is your own very special day. De-lurking with your first post here is declaring your presence, affirming your very photo-existence, a supreme exercise of your Gore-given e-democratic rights. When you exercise this right for the very first-time, it is a mystical, coming-of-age process: you are a FIRST TIMER (DEFINITION #2).

Some folks, however, are inconsiderate enough to slip back into lurk-mode after having come out of the closet. Some stray away, lured by the false gods of color (no reference to the ethnicity of gods implied here); some just die, but this is simply not a good enough excuse; yet others mean to visit, but become too busy and find themselves caught up in the materialistic world of jobs, contracts and lucre. But the seeds of monochrome, once sown, are never truly lost. There is a perpetual yearning, a gnawing hunger for the long-lost home, a longing to return to the dimly-remembered paradise of true friends, fixer fumes and desaturation. These are our LONG LOST Members (DEFINITION #3). To all of you, a warm welcome back! Wednesday is your own very special day.
(Thank you N. Sukumar for this description)

*This includes those members who have not posted for over a year.

So pull up a chair and post a photograph or comment about one, enjoy

[Image: post0068.jpg]

Gerard Buckleman, Owner
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2013, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 12:29 PM by robertmule.)
RE: Wednesday is: Lurker and First Timer Day*

.jpg  DSC_3765.JPG (Size: 145.91 KB / Downloads: 8) First time trying. Thanks.

Yes, I've got a long way to go. Digital is all new to me, but I'm enthusiastic and willing. Criticism is welcomed. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
12-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Nice capture with the dog's curiosity looking out the window!

Donna B.
12-19-2013, 09:18 PM
(12-18-2013 12:26 PM)robertmule Wrote:  First time trying. Thanks.

Yes, I've got a long way to go. Digital is all new to me, but I'm enthusiastic and willing. Criticism is welcomed. Thanks.

Robert,
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. At times we all create work that we just want to convey a message, and yours has done that quite well. Your companion has us drawn into what appears to be a very interesting subject outside and makes me wonder what it would be. What camera are you currently using? Are you making the switch from film?

Gerard Buckleman, Owner
12-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Thank you both Donna and Gerard for the encouraging words. I work some very long hours so my replies may be slow in coming. Gerard, several years ago, I was a very active amateur film photographer. Shot several weddings that turned out great and people were very happy with the product. Had a few failures, too. But, as sometimes happens, "life" got in the way and photography got pushed to the back. A few months ago, I found a Nikon D7000 outfit on Ebay and bought it. It feels so good! Like finding a long lost friend.
12-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Robert,

You're welcome any time and great to see you posting at the forum. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your nice work in the future.

Donna B.
12-21-2013, 08:23 PM
(12-20-2013 10:50 PM)robertmule Wrote:  Thank you both Donna and Gerard for the encouraging words. I work some very long hours so my replies may be slow in coming. Gerard, several years ago, I was a very active amateur film photographer. Shot several weddings that turned out great and people were very happy with the product. Had a few failures, too. But, as sometimes happens, "life" got in the way and photography got pushed to the back. A few months ago, I found a Nikon D7000 outfit on Ebay and bought it. It feels so good! Like finding a long lost friend.

Robert,

Your welcome! This is a not place where we have to rush to reply. We all know about how life can sometimes put our hobby on the back burner sometimes. Glad that you found a nice outfit to work with. Have you checked out the review on DPreview? Do you shoot in the NEF file system or JPG's, just curious?
Sometimes you don't need a "big" camera to get a great shot!
[Image: 6374.jpg]

Gerard Buckleman, Owner